"I sing the goodness of the Lord, that filled the earth with food;
He formed the creatures with His word, and then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, where e're I turn my eye;
If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky."

Saturday, September 10, 2011

When the Unexpected Happens...

While traveling home on August 26, 2011, the unexpected happened.

I was on my way home after dropping our senior dog, Hershey, at the vet to have a hematoma drained from her ear.  Savannah and I were approximately 1 mile from our house when a truck pulling a travel trailer rounded a curve in my lane.

The truck was traveling at a high rate of speed.

The truck was also being driven by a teenager.

I tried to move over as much as I could, but shoulder room on New Cut Rd is hard to come by.  The truck and trailer made contact with our vehicle starting at the driver's side sliding door and continued on to the end of the vehicle.  When we finally came to a stop, I was partly on the shoulder and partly down an embankment.

"Savannah, are you ok?"
Crying...
"Savannah, are you hurt?"
More crying...

I turned around in my seat as far as I could and determined that she wasn't hurt, just very scared.  The impact had occurred on the side of the vehicle where Savannah was sitting.  Thankfully she was wearing her seat belt the correct way and she leaned away from the door right before we were hit.

After calling Craig, and 911, we got out of the vehicle to try and assess the damage.





The rear tire was completely in shreds, the axle looked like it was seriously out of position, the bumper was pulled off and the side was caved in.

As it turns out, both axles were broken.  This car was not going anywhere anytime soon.

So many emotions...

Why now?  This is our main mode of transportation!  I need my van to take Georgia to work and college, Savannah to play practice and myself to teach piano lessons!  I can't have this happen NOW!!!!!

I would love to say that the only emotions I experienced were ones of relief that no one was hurt, and sadness at the loss of a vehicle, but I can't say that.

I was ANGRY!

Our car was paid for and we had no intentions of buying another car anytime soon!

I was ANGRY because it was a teenager driving a vehicle that he didn't know how to handle!

I was ANGRY because my plans for the day had been totally wrecked (pun intended)!

It has taken me over a week to get past the anger and to the thankful stage.  Sorry for the venting session...

  • I am thankful that no one involved in the accident was hurt.  If this had occurred at just about any other place on New Cut Rd, the likelihood of our car flipping would have been very great.
  • I am thankful for friends who offered to help in any way they could.
  • I am thankful for a husband who was very supportive of the way I handled myself and the vehicle in my first accident.  If I had panicked, I could have been hit head on and been badly hurt.
  • I am thankful that Craig's parents were still here and could help comfort Savannah while I worked on all the details involved with speaking to the Sheriff's Deputy, getting a rental car and making sure that the insurance company was doing what it was supposed to do. (Mr. Gary rode Georgia's bike from our house to the accident site and was there before Craig could get there!)
  • I am thankful that Craig hadn't changed the oil yet (the filter and oil can be returned) and that we hadn't invested in the new tires either!
  • I am thankful that the insurance will pay something for my van being totalled.
  • I am thankful for a rental car that got decent gas mileage while still being able to seat us all reasonably.
  • I am thankful that we were able to find another car that is a little newer and with fewer miles that we could afford.
I know that I am too close to this right now to see what the big picture is.

But God always has a plan...

Mandisa has a song out right now that seems to fit the bill for what I need to hear.  It is called "Stronger" and Juliana as well as many others have commented on it before.  Here are part of the lyrics:

Oh, don't hang your head
It's gonna end
God's right there
Even if it's hard to see Him
I promise you that He still cares

When the waves are taking you under

Hold on just a little bit longer
He knows that this is gonna make you stronger, stronger
The pain ain't gonna last forever
And things can only get better
Believe me
This is gonna make you stronger
Gonna make you stronger, stronger, stronger
Believe me, this is gonna make you ...


And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. ~Philippians 1:6

Stock photo of 2006 Honda Pilot which we will pick up today!
 ~ Liana

No comments:

Post a Comment