"I sing the goodness of the Lord, that filled the earth with food;
He formed the creatures with His word, and then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, where e're I turn my eye;
If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky."

Friday, December 3, 2010

Schooling, Traveling and a Shameless Plug

We had a wonderful time in the mountains of NC for Thanksgiving.  It was good to be able to visit with family and just rest.  I told Mama that the kitchen in the house we were renting had probably never seen the quantity or the variety of food that emerged from from the stove, oven, refrigerator and freezer.  We played games, ate, took walks, ate some more, took naps, ate again and even watched a few movies and of course some football (GO GAMECOCKS!!!).  Did I mention that we ate?  We had enough food to keep us for another week if we had needed it!  I hope everyone else had as good of a time as we did.

We have taken a little break from some of our normal school stuff for the month of December.  Savannah and I have started reading A Christmas Carol by Dickens and instead of Black Beauty, she will be reading other Christmas stories for her free reading time.  Georgia voluntarily offered (*gasp*) to read The Legend of Holly Claus to Savannah.  It has 24 chapters so they are reading one chapter a day until Christmas.  And of course, I am sure that Savannah will want to listen to The Cinnamon Bear recordings we have from Homeschool Radio Shows at some point in the month.  If you haven't heard of this business before, they take old radio and TV shows (by old I mean from the early days of TV and radio) and upload them in mp3 format.  I have many from them that are free and we have purchased a few collections from them over the years.  Savannah loves them and has listened to all kinds of programs: The Great Gildersleve, Father Knows Best, Mr. President, Shakespeare adaptations, etc.  I can't tell you how many freebies I have received from this company.  You can find them at http://homeschoolradioshows.com/ and http://www.homeschoolfreebie.wholesomechildhood.com/

Enough plugging, I feel like I have neglected to update about Juliana as much, mainly because I am no longer in charge of her learning!  She is nearing exam time and has been trying to get in some extra studying.  She has one more week of classes and then exams the following week.  Unless she really bombs on her exams, which
I am sure won't happen, she should come out with about a 3.6 GPA after her first semester.  We are really proud of the way that she has managed both her time and her studying/working.  She is registered to take a class during the winter term (know here as J-Term) that will meet every day for 3 weeks for 3 hours a day and she has also registered for her next term as well.  She asked last night what we thought about her possibly studying abroad for 2 weeks this summer in England to get her cultural credit and about her going to Belize the summer before she would get into Nursing School.  I had never really thought about her being able to do that or even wanting to do any study abroad, but I have to say that it sounds really interesting and I hope that she will be able to do it.  Of course, she will have to get over her fear of flying first...lol!

Finally, as we are in the Christmas season, I hope that you will spend some time thinking about:

Jesus

The gift we were given

Others who need to hear of the gift

What we can do to spread the gift in our own town

The ones in foreign countries endeavoring to share the gift

People who have heard of the gift but reject it and anything to do with it

Those in foreign countries who know and share the gift and are persecuted because of it.

His name

will be called

Jesus

God bless you all!

~ Liana

No comments:

Post a Comment