"I sing the goodness of the Lord, that filled the earth with food;
He formed the creatures with His word, and then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, where e're I turn my eye;
If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky."

Friday, October 29, 2010

Accountability and other ramblings...

In an effort to maintain accountability to myself and my family, I am going to try to update this blog every Friday.  Hopefully it will not become a vent session, but rather a time for me to reflect on the past week's activities and preparations for the new week.

This week went rather smoothly at our little home school.  Savannah accomplished almost everything that was assigned and Georgia is making good progress at bringing her grade up in Pre-Calculus.  When we went to the library this week for Georgia to start research for her author project, Savannah decided on her own that she wanted to do a report on Abraham Lincoln.  We haven't made it to Lincoln yet in our American History studies, but I didn't want to discourage her from writing about something that she was interested in.  I think the idea came to her when she found an extremely oversized book about the assassination of Lincoln.  I am not sure whether she wanted to write the report and then saw the book or vice versa, but either way, we now have a book that is about 2 feet high and 1 foot wide on the dining room table waiting for her as she writes... no... types her report.  Another accomplishment this week is that I have gotten 2 completed composition assignments from Georgia!!!   She didn't even complain about having to do them.  Dare I hope that we have rounded the corner on her opposition to writing?!?!?  She decided to do her author project on Louisa Mae Alcott and checked out 2 biographical books and copied 18 pages out of a Reference book for her sources.

It is still a struggle to take the time for personal spiritual and educational growth.  Every day I say that I am going to do better at my Bible study (and make the time to read meatier books) and every day it is always something that gets tacked on at the end when my brain is working in overload mode and nothing stays for very long in it...  Maybe next week will be better.  I finally got around to finishing menu planning.  I now have a list for 4 weeks of meals.  I can move around meals in a week, but not exchange them with another week's meals.  Tomorrow will mark the end of two weeks with these plans and I only had to modify my plan on a couple of days.  It has been a huge stress reliever not to have to figure out what I need to cook every afternoon.  Our meals have been varied and because it is down on paper, I have been more accountable.  The kids even come through the kitchen now to see what the menu says we are having for supper.  I'm sure that I will have to make some changes eventually, but for now it has been a great experience.  The other benefit to it is that I have had to remember to take the meat out of the freezer earlier in the day (or the night before) so we are not always stuck with hamburger or chicken because mom forgot to defrost something...

On a lighter note, this week while doing a little Christmas shopping (yes...I am determined to get it all done before December!!!) I found a great game for the girls.  It's called Flexees and according to Georgia they're like flexible tinker toys.  They have played with them for hours.  The best thing about them is that you have to use your imagination to create things and it is NOT ELECTRONIC!!!!  Gotta love something that doesn't require a monitor or batteries!!

Finally, we started our Christmas play practice this past Sunday.  The adults always do a program called One Holy Night and this year the children are doing The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  Yours truly got the part of Grace, the mother who has to take over directing the pageant when the regular director breaks her leg and winds up in the hospital.  So...added to all my other responsibilities...I now have to memorize a huge amount of lines!!!  I also have to help Craig learn his (he's the dad) and Savannah learn hers (she's Gladys Herdman).  This ought to be interesting!!!

I posted a lot of new pictures on facebook and also our photo share site (Pace Photo Memoirs link on the right hand side of blog).  Be sure to check them out...especially the ones of Georgia and Savannah raking leaves.  I had a lot of fun taking those.

Have a great weekend!

Our silly take on "American Gothic" by Grant Wood

The downey woodpecker weighs quite a bit more than the little sparrow on the other side!
Liana

No comments:

Post a Comment