Wow... Two months since my last post...
In that time, spring has finally arrived in Kentucky and with it have come new obligations, namely, yard work. We have been attempting to get our garden ready for planting, but with all the bad weather and the tiller deciding to break, we haven't quite gotten it prepared. Not that it matters right now. If I had already planted the garden it would have drowned! We have had so much rain and wind! We had a storm Saturday night that fried our dog fence (it has been repaired) and sent a large branch from the red maple in the back yard crashing down.
I am very thankful, however, that it did not land on the house. Hopefully we will get it cleaned up soon. There is now a very large gap at the top of the tree and it was all I could do not to cry when I saw it on the ground. That tree was one of my favorite parts of the yard in this house. It had character! Now I guess it just has a little more character...
 |
| The top of the tree now... |
 |
| Hummingbird on top of little oak tree |
With the coming of spring we now have flowers blooming or getting ready to bloom and a whole new crop of songbirds! I must say, bird watching from the dining room table has become a favorite hobby of both Savannah and myself. She was the first one to spot one of our new birds, the Indigo bunting. I can take credit for seeing the goldfinch and the house finch. I still haven't gotten a picture of the house finch, but hopefully I will soon. I also noticed that the hummingbirds had returned. The feisty little male has resumed his favorite position on the very top of an oak tree in the backyard! I think I will leave you with a few pictures of the flowers and the birds and a new favorite quote.
See you next week! (Hopefully!?!?)
 |
| Indigo Bunting |
 |
| Red Headed Woodpecker |
 |
| One of the roses I just planted with it's single bloom |
 |
| Iris - There are 4 places in the yard with these! |
 |
| Goldfinch - I am still waiting on a better picture |
 |
| The peonies are really close to blooming! |
| | | |
|
|
|
|
|
| | | | | Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of the originality. ~Beatrix Potter~ |
~ Liana
Welcome back to blogland:)
ReplyDeleteI love spring too with all the birds, flowers and gardens. I could do without the bucketloads of rain and falling branches though. Although, all this rain is making weed pulling very easy! There is always something to be grateful for :)
Check out my latest post about new feathered friends. . .